Sunday, October 16, 2011

All About My Vickie Day

Much to my pain and anguish, this post is All About My Vickie.  She had, as she descirbed is..."The Perfect Day" yesterday and it didn't include me.

She and that John Boy went riding in the mountains looking for that perfect picture of a moose with the perfect back drop of fall leaves.

Now I dont understand why My Vickie would go anywhere without me, especially somewhere where she would be in danger of getting between a boy moose and his girl friend.

I mean does she really think that that John boy person could protect her like I could.  Well.....I was worried sick all day.

She didn't get home till really late and she was on cloud nine.  So I'll just let her explain the pictures since, I could care LESS. 

OK My Vickie....its all yours.
 I wanted to thank everyone for thier suggestions of the bowl of rice for the submerged camera.  As you can see, it worked pretty well.  There are some things on the camera that arent working, like the zoom kind of does what it wants but I can still work the manual and the auto.

So with some hit and misses, I took it up with us on our last fall trip of the year.  (I mean, we can hope it all lasts a lot longer but they say another cold spell is coming)

So if ya have the time, here are a ton of pictures from my favorite fall day of the year.

 The Aspen were turning into deep yellows that we couldn't catch properly on the lens.  The way the light of the sun hit them changed them from moment to moment.  It was breath taking.
 Many of our aspen families were also sending out scores of orange and reds.  They were almost as red as our Maples.
 Then of course was the most exciting part of our day and that was when we came across "The Brothers"  who still hang together.  The guy on the right is one year younger than his brother.  Also in the trees was their mother and their youngest brother.  It amazes me that the four of them are still together during the mating season but it is a pretty tightly knit family.
 Big and oldes brother. 
 Mom
 Our favorit canyon.  It was as gold as can be.  With some red in the far distance.
 Love the berries
 While riding we found a promising mountain side so we took off on foot again to see if we could spot anything.   It was very exciting to find a couple I had never seen before.  He has antlers almost like an elks.  I also noticed he had an eye infection.  I hope he will be ok.  If you look close you can see how swollen it is right below the eye socket.  ( I wish I could have taken him to the vet, but I guess that is just not a possiblity)  Duhhhhh
 We followd them through the forest for a bit until they came out on a dirt road.  By then, they had had enought of us and the bull gave John a stomping warning.  That is all I needed to call it a day.
 I figure it is time to fess up about my camping trips.  If you look real hard, there is a little trailer right behind John.  Yep, I camp by sleeping on a bed and behind closed doors. 
 Isn't it beautiful.  Everywhere we went.
 Also, I kept thinking of you Whisppy whenever I looked into the incredibly blue sky cause you remind me of Whispy clouds dancing across the sky.

 BAck to the little brother from this morning. 
 Big brother with a beautiful fall backdrop.  He was very tolerant of John and I.  The lighting was perfect and again, it was "A Perfect" day.
 John is either braver than me, or just plane crazy.  
 Here is the momma to the three brothers.  She has let her boys stay with her for a long time.  Most moose make their kids move on after a year, but she has allowed them to stay with her. 
 What a good momma
 More incredible color
 A crazy ride up Left Hand Canyon where the Ghost trees are. 
 It is hard to get a good picture of the Ghost trees, but we got a few.
 They are acutally the Maple trees after they loose their leaves.  The ghostly white part is the seeds that settel in winter.
So I'll leave you with the site of a few ghost trees on a hillside.  Thanks for sticking it out with me.  I know there are a lot of pictures, but I just couldn't choose one over the other.

Have a nice week everyone.

Bert's My Vickie

33 comments:

rottrover said...

Bert, thanks for indulging Your Vickie! Those ghost tree pictures are awesome; and really dude, who could have resisted chasing those moose? We know you are a wonder dog, butt still!!

-Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Wow, your "wet" camera does way better than our dry one could ever do. We thought about that rice trick but we thought it only worked for cell phones. So glad you got some of the functions to work so well.

Awesome photos. Mom really wishes she could do those kind of hikes but that is way beyond her time now.

Now be sure to take Bert somewhere special to make it up to him:)

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

The Army of Four said...

Woo, Bert! Sorry you didn't get to go with your Vickie but Great Dane in the morning, are those wonderful pictures!!! We just love seeing the mooses up close and personal ... err ... moose-onal and learning more about them! And the COLORS!!! WOW!!!!!
Luv,
Dave

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

so glad you got the camera working! Beautiful pics!

Road Dog Tales said...

Oh, my! What awesome colors and pics! It almost felt as if we were right there! A-MAZING! Those moose pics are beyond words! Thanks so much for sharing.

Bert, hope there are some pics of you next time. We are also puzzled that your Vickie left you behind on such an awesome adventure :)

The Road Dogs

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

OH BERT... I am SOOOOOOO glad that your Vickie got the Flashy Beast to work. RICE??? Who would have ever THOUGHT??

I am soooooo blown away by the Beauty and WONDER of this post!!!

We do NOT have Moose here.. just whitetail deer. THOSE Moose are AMAZING... I would NOT be as Brave as to get THAT close.
THANK YOU THANK YOU
for showing us the Glory of Nature!!

Scooter said...

Hey Bert!
Wow, I'm kinda glad you shared with Your Vickie because those pix are amazing! Too bad it was all done WOB (With Out Bert) (Booooooo) but the pix are pawesome. Maybe you get to go next time!
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

GOOSE said...

WOW, BOW-WOW! What great photos. I wish my MOM would use one of those camper things it would be way cool and comfy. When we go on adventures she still sleeps in a tent or under the stars.
I know how you feel Bert, being left behind. My MOM has done that to me a time or two. I worry and worry until she gets home. But she always makes it up to me and if I know your Vickie she’ll make it up to you.
Those moose are HUGE! I’m sure I could not contain myself, I would chase them. I’ve been known to chase deer for quite a ways (but they say that’s what I was bred for). Thanks for letting your Vickie share her pics. They brightened our day.
Goose

Finn said...

WOW! Now I know why Bert's upset he got left behind! What a great outing!

Anonymous said...

wowee! My human really enjoyed your photos..the countryside is so vast and different to where we are..It looks stunning - well done you!

Anonymous said...

wowee! My human really enjoyed your photos..the countryside is so vast and different to where we are..It looks stunning - well done you!

Anonymous said...

wowee! My human really enjoyed your photos..the countryside is so vast and different to where we are..It looks stunning - well done you!

Molly the Airedale said...

What awesome photos! We could never in a million years choose our favorite. They're all incredible!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

How Sam Sees It said...

It looks like Vickie had a great day! We are sorry you didn't get to come with!

Sam

Sagira said...

How neat! I don't really know much about moose. Are they mean? Sure do make pretty photos though. :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Your pictures are just stunning and one or two or three would not have done your trip justice!!! They remind me so much of our time in Alaska, and your moose photos are just amazing!! WOW is all I can say!! I'm so glad you had the perfect day!!!

Ina in Alaska said...

What an incredible day! Great color, gorgeous trees & skies. And the moose family-major WOW!!! That is indeed impressive for mama to let the young ones hang with her so long! Glad the rice worked- your shots are just amazing!

2browndawgs said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures and you are brave to get so close to those moose.

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

These photos are incredible. You're so lucky to live near such a beautiful place.

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

Bert,

Sorry you had such a worrying day - I have to say though that the pics are amazing!!

The only way they could be even more amazing of course buddy, would have been to have included you in a couple!!

Next time she leaves you come on over to my place and we can have our own party Dude! Tee Hee

Wags to you,

Your pal Snoopy :)

Just Ramblin' said...

Looks like you have an amazing place to hike!

BZ Dogs said...

LOVE all the color! And those are some big boy moose you have there. :)

JacksDad said...

What amazing pictures!

PS. I vote for crazy! :)

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous pictures! :D

It's only just coming in to Spring here! :D

xo
Luna

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Bert thanks for letting Vickie go without you! The photos are fabulous but we always love the moose ones the best. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Whisppy said...

What beautiful photos! Forgive my ignorance, but what would those innocent looking moose do if you didn't move away after they stamp their feet?

Boondocks Love Shack Pack said...

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow, oh wow!!! Those are just AWESOME!!!

And mom's curious - so..who's John Boy?? wink, wink??

AROOOOF!
Boondocks and The Love Shack Pack

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for taking us on such a pawsome tour!

Mom and I just LOVE Moose!

woos, Tessa

NCmountainwoman said...

No need to 'fess up about the bed. We know what conditions the search/rescue folks have to work in. No one who does that can be considered a wuss just because she camps in a little more comfort.

I'm so glad you got to enjoy this beautiful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Bert, Your Vickie saw some awesome things! SOOOOOO Happy the NEW camera can still function! Would have hated to miss all of the beauty Your Vickie and her Jon enjoyed. Incredible Moose encounters! Very very special day indeed :D

Waggin at ya,
Roo

PeeS: Luved the ghost trees. Never heard them called that before. Cool :)

Unknown said...

Bert, Me is sure that yous would have barked at the moose and then your Vickie would not have got such nice shots of them!
Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Kisses
Nellie

fromsophiesview said...

Beautiful countryside...and the ghost trees are special...thanks so much for sharing.

Elizabeth Keene said...

So stunning, and I just love the moose. Love.