Saturday, December 10, 2011

Icy Cold Beautiful Day

 This is some strange weather we are having.  Last week our mountains were covered with snow and this week, there is a lot less, but it still is really really cold.

If you look behind me and my pals, you will see that our lake down in the valley is frozen solid, yet our lakes up in the mountains are not.  Figure that one out.
 Of course, My Vickie made us all sit for pictures before we started our walk.  She got one....the first one....but after that, Annie wouldn't look at the camera and Goose showed his displeasure by singing loudly in my ears.   Thankfully My Vickie gave up and we started our walk.
 We were NOT allowed down to the shores of the lake cause all our humans were afraid we would be dumb enough to go out on the ice.   HaHHH....now who would want to get into water that is below freezing and solid as glass.
 So we all made the most of it, playing and running through the trails at high speeds, jumping (check out Annie in the picture above) and dodging each other was great fun.
 And then...FINALLY....we came to the river.  It was not frozen at all.  Well a bit around the shore line, but totally safe.  Even Murphy and Goose were excited to get to the water.
 Of Course Annie and I swam and swam to our hearts delight.
 I retrieved this stick and when I brought it out of the water, Murphy decided he should take it from me so we had a rousing game of tug-o-war
 Goose and Michelle played jump and grab.
 My Vickie went to the edge of the water and found some really cool spots with icicles hanging from the low branches of a tree.
 Our friend Caren sent this picture of the hoar frost and ice crystals that were by her creek so we decided to slip it in since it is prettier than our pictures of the ice.
 As we were walking out we heard this weird sound like sonar from a boat.  It was a special thing these hockey players were using as they played hockey on our lake.  It helps them know if they are coming to areas where the ice is too thin to be playing on.  apparently, the whole lake is safe cause they were having a ball skating over the whole lake.  I was a bit jealous.  My Vickie was a bit scared....."Crazy Nuts" she kept saying...."Crazy Nuts"
 While we were playing in the valley John hiked up to about 8,000 feet above our city and came across this beautiful Mountain Goat.   It is a way tough hike but always worth it.  Check out the short video of the momma and babies as they scale the cliffs. 




Beautiful Saturday.  Hope you all had as much fun as me.....

Love ya
Bert

39 comments:

GOOSE said...

Bert Buddy I always have the best time with you. It sure made my day. While MOM did a wedding after this I slept. Perfect. Oh and sorry for the loud shouts in your ear. I just wanted to get to the romping and playing. I'm not as good a poser as you.

One question.... I thought you were bringing Allred to go with us. I know he would have LOVED it.

Thanks again Buddy.
Blessings,
Goose

K9 Katastrophie said...

Oh my! Isn't it a little cold to go swimming?!

Licks,
Ruthie

Scrappy Angel said...

Goose was just singing with the Angels! What a perfect day you all had! Love the photos!

Finn said...

Wow! You get to see some of the coolest creatures in your neck of the woods! And look at you all having fun! What a great walkie!

Molly the Airedale said...

What a fun day you had, Bert, but weren't you cold playing in the water? brrrrrrrrrr

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Minnie and Mack said...

Beautiful! We can't imagine swimming in the freezing cold water and liking it.
The mountain goats are awesome with their white coats.
Thanks for sharing.

Drools and licks,
Minnie and Mack

Rubie and Poots (her Mum) said...

Hey Bert, that looked like a fun day with your mates...until you got into that freezings water though....you lost me then......bbbbrrrrrrr!!!!

Mum and I loved that photo of those men skating on the lake, we just don't get to see sights like that here in Australia. Wow.

Tail Wuggles, Rubie

2browndawgs said...

Mountain goats have got to be some of the coolest creatures. We saw them when we were in Alaska.

Beautiful, beautiful pictures today. All of them.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I love the picture of the All Dawg Choir.. and Goose Singing his Solo.
Wish I could have HEARD the Song.

Weren't you FREEEEEEEZIN in that cold water???

Scooter said...

Hey Bert!
Wow, what a great day you had! Love the singing Goose pix and I agree with Your Vickie that those peeps are crazy for risking that ice! Looks like a fun dip in the river...but cold I bet! That video of the goats is amazing. They make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing the pretty pix today.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh how we love that pic of you, Goose, and Annie. We sure hope you and Annie weren't making a statement about Goose's charming voice:)

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh how we love that pic of you, Goose, and Annie. We sure hope you and Annie weren't making a statement about Goose's charming voice:)

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

The Army of Four said...

Wowzers! What a great walk - and such awesome pictures! Mom was giggling over the mountain goats - she's strange like that.
I thought maybe Goose was leading everypup in some Christmas carols or something!
Thanks for taking us with you!
Play bows,
Zim

WFT Nobby said...

Hi Bert, what a great walk you had. I see that Scotland is not the only place to have been experiencing interesting weather lately.
The hoar frost is so pretty and yes the ice hockey players are (by definition) nuts.
Toodle pip!
Bertie.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

That looks utterly fabulous! We especially love the shots of Goose howling and Annie-A-Leaping!

Woofs,
Tommy

rottrover said...

What a wonderful Saturday you had!!

-Bart and Ruby

Unknown said...

Dear Bert,
Me does not even like to goes outside when it is cold. me has not set so much a toe out the door since wes gots cold her a few weeks ago. My Hairy Slobbery Sister Bob would loves to go swimming with yous guys! Our river has ice so she can't
Kisses
Nellie

Bailey Be Good! said...

What beautiful pictures!! And wowserz, those icicles! We'll never get to see anything like that here. It looks like you all had such fun. My mommy wouldn't let me go out on the lake either... bah.

Woofs & hugs, <3

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

NanaNor's said...

Hi Bert, I love seeing the photos of you with your friends and how special that you all live close enough to hang out together. I wish I could go with you all too.
Hugs today.
Noreen & Reggie-dog

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for sharing a great icy cold beautiful day. I love all the photographs, even the one with Goose shouting.

Mr. Logan and Ms. Baci said...

Baci and I are so dawg gone bummed that we couldn't make the play date. It looked like it was grrreat time.

Sagira said...

I just love Goose, he reminds me so much of my sister Starr, she would be barking in the photo as well. BOL

Couldn't watch the video, something wrong with my flash player. BOO :(

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. Looks like you had a fun walk too.

47 said...

I wish I could have been there with you guys. What a beautiful hike! Maybe I'll make the journey to Mt. Rainier in the summer and take some pictures there.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bert what a pawsome day you and your furiends!

I loved seeing the Mountain Goats! Now that is what I call a COAT!

woos, Tessa

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What fun you had!! I know a few of my pups who would love to share one of your great outings, and I would love to see the Mountain Goats--They remind me of our time in Alaska!!

jen said...

What a beautiful Saturday you had indeed!

Kolchak Puggle said...

You always have the most beautiful pictures Bert! IT makes us feel like we got to enjoy your Saturday with you !

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Bert, wow whee you had the best Saturday ever. We love all your friends, especially Goose singing hehehe. Thanks for the great photos. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Boondocks Love Shack Pack said...

Sure looks like y'all had a good time! Brrrr--- it looks cold where you live. Our high today is 60. Mom says it's wonderful... we'd be inclined to agree!

AROOOOOF!
Boondocks & The Love Shack Pack

P.S. We LOVED our card from you!! :-)

KB said...

Wow, I loved this post. It made me smile a million times over. You looked like you're having blast! Gorgeous hoar frost.

And, what's the sonic thingy used by ice skaters? It sounds like a really useful thing (the Runner likes to speed skate on lakes around here).

georgia little pea said...

you really do take some phenomenal pictures! do you carry a "proper" camera with you on your dogwalks?

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Da ice and snow is beautiful butt me tinks me would rather stay under da covers if it gets dat cold!

:o)

Val said...

What a great time with FRIENDS!!!

Road Dog Tales said...

What a FUN time with your furiends! Bet that was fun to see hockey OUTSIDE! And those ice crystals are pretty amazing! So are the goats :) Thanks for sharing your amazing day!

The Road Dogs

Whisppy said...

You guys had a mighty good time, I see. Love that picture of Annie running behind Murphy who looked like he was just strolling along.

Jill said...

Beautiful...just beautiful. Bert you have the most fun! Those skaters are crazy nuts! Ha.

Dexter said...

I can understand why your Vickie was worried about the ice. Those hockey chaps are totally nuts for sure. You just stay clear of the ice. I do worry about your mentals given that you went swimming in that cold cold water. Ish. Not my idea of fun, but you look happy enough.

Slobbers,
Mango

Just Ramblin' said...

You all have some of the best adventures! So much fun. : )